Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Fashionable Fifties

I found this postcard on eBay, while doing a search on the long-gone L'Aiglon restaurant in New York City. As you can see, it favored the typical luxe flourishes of the day: lots of red, lots of curved banquettes. I picture lots of glamorous women who look like Dorian Leigh and Dovima lunching here in hats, with handsome smoothies wearing custom-tailored suits, Patek Philippe watches and tie clips. L'Aiglon just reeks of a bygone era we'll probably never recapture. Even though I never was there, I miss it terribly.

2 comments:

  1. Darling, you are so fabulously obscure. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Fabulously obscure." You know, I think that sums me up in a nutshell!

    I have to update this blog thingy. I'm usually too busy reading everyone else's--YOURS, in particular! What's a busy gal to do?

    ReplyDelete